Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday...a good day for baking.

Owen had two hockey games this morning.  He scored the winning goal in the first game and they tied the second game.  It was very exciting.

The Pfeffernuese dough has been sitting for well over a week and is ready to be baked.  I had baked a few men on Friday for the girls to decorate at the party.  They had fun.  I made a few more today.  I added some noses for something different.


For those of you who are unfamiliar with pfeffernuese; it's a hard small spicy cookie.  Good with coffee but be careful, they care addictive.  I made a double recipe which means I made thousands today.


Grandma use to keep them in Christmas tins but I don't have enough so I used a huge plastic bag.


She use to cut them out with a funnel.  Her mother in law cut hers out with a thimble...can you imagine?  I fashioned a tool out of an apple corer by melting away the sides so only the round part will cut.  I did this 13 years ago and I have to say it's held up well but I noticed a crack today.


After the pfeffernuese was baked, I made sourdough waffles.  I found this recipe (posted below), but it doesn't make enough.  Owen doesn't care for sourdough...not sure how that's possible if he's related to me so he only ate one.


So good with maple syrup.  I ate mine with raspberries, blueberries, and whipped cream.  A fun thing to do for dinner.

Sourdough Waffles
  • 2 (or more) cups of starter
  • 
1 Tbs. sugar

  • 1 egg
  • 
1/2 tsp salt
  • 
2 Tbs. veg. oil
mix well, set aside.

From this batter, spoon out what you need for the waffle into a mixing bowl.

In a shot glass, mix 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and a small amount of water, stir to dissolve the soda. Then gently fold this into the mix. It will start to become light and airy. Pour onto waffle iron (or griddle for pancakes). These will be very light.Repeat the shot glass/soda mix for each waffle.

The soda controls the lightness. If very sour, use a tad more soda. If you use too much soda the waffles will taste somewhat bitter.

It’s great with pure maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I hope you will follow my blog.