Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday 11/8/2010, Tuna Rice Casserole

Not sure how to tell if this is done but the timer is beeping and it's time to eat.  I'll let you know how this one goes.

ok...the tuna casserole was just ok.  I thought it could use some real cheese and some broccoli or something more substantial.  The tuna made it kind of fishy so chicken would have been far better.  It was a decent starter for a casserole just needs many adjustments.  Owen would not eat it at all.  Sean seemed to choke it down on a couple of pieces of bread.  I ate two helpings.  I didn't think it was bad at all.

Anne gave it 3 stars but I think she was being nice.
Owen and I quote, "it's not bad, I just don't want to eat it."

Last Thursday, I began a quest to begin cooking meals for the family that are a little more thought out.  I started with Chicken Cordon Bleu.  It was a hit (except with Sean who doesn't eat meat)!  The thing I would do different is to not use the Canadian bacon from Costco.  It gave it a funky flavor that Owen didn't like.  Owen doesn't like much so that's not saying much.  Anne really liked it but I agreed that the Canadian Bacon was weird tasting in it.


The next night I made a good ol standby, my made up cheese enchilada recipe.  I should really write it down in case I should forget.  The kids really liked it, especially Owen  who doesn't like much at this age.  I made a kids version and a spicier version for Sean and myself.

Cheese Enchiladas
Recipe:
mozzarella cheese
sour cream
diced onions
crushed black olives
one teaspoon or a little more of ground cumin
optional fresh cilantro

mix the above together to a paste
roll into tortillas and lay into a lasagna pan
add a can or two of rotel, for the kid version add a can of diced tomatoes
smother with Mexican style cheese and bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbly


Since Thursday I have made two batches of Oatmeal cookies.  The recipe is a keeper.  I left out the raisins because Anne says raisins are creepy.  Friday I made the pumpkin cookies and pumpkin seeds.  Finally got around to carving the pumpkins that I made into vases for centerpieces.  Too bad no one is coming for Thanksgiving.

Saturday I made potato soup.  I thought it was awesome but Anne only had a few bites.  It definitely fills you up.  I don't think I've been hungry since.  Owen ate a huge helping.  He likes his with crackers.  It got really thick after cooking for half the time it suggested (made most on stove and then transferred to slowcooker).  Next time I'll make it thinner if it's going to spend time in the slow cooker.  I also added a hint of nutmeg.

Sunday I made chili.  Used dry beans...needed to cook way longer.  Cooked for 5 hours and the beans still weren't all the way ready.  It was really good with a dollop of sour cream and cheese.  Sean didn't seem to enjoy the firm beans.  Will cook it up in the slow cooker tomorrow all day and it should be perfect for Tuesday night.  Anne didn't like the way it smelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I hope you will follow my blog.