Search This Blog

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Scones (just like the Puyallup Fair)

Photo by Kari Watts 

My sister brought this recipe home from school in 1985 and I've been making this off and on ever since.  It is the closest recipe I've ever found to the authentic Puyallup fair scones.  It's very easy too! 

Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour 
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening (sometimes I use butter)
  • 2/3 cup milk
Preheat oven to 400* 
Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in bowl.
Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles cornmeal.
Add milk and mix (just until it holds together, do not over mix)
Knead gently using extra flour. 
Form into 3 balls and flatten to 3 5 inch circles with center slightly higher than outside.
Cut each circle into 3rds (instructions say 4ths but I think it makes them too small)
Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

Add fresh berries and maybe even some whipped cream or split these apart to add jam Puyallup fair style. 

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments. I hope you will follow my blog.