Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Two snow days in a row! What to do...

I braved the roads in to downtown yesterday.  I have a great car for the snow.  Unfortunately my husband has a nice car that is not so great in the snow.  Why do they even make rear wheel drive vehicles anymore?  I left work early so he could get to his class and right when I got home, Creighton closed for the day.  Probably a good thing since crazy drivers were all over the place fishtailing everywhere.  The snow kept coming and again school was canceled.  My boss text me this morning saying I could work from home or come in late...whatever I was comfortable with.  I GREATLY appreciated that.  Knowing Sean would again need the car and with my work computer on the fritz the last thing I wanted to do was drive in to find I can't do much because of my computer and then have to leave early.  I was able to work remotely for a couple of hours.

So what to do?  I made bread.  ALLLLLLL Day.  I didn't used processed yeast and only a starter so the first rising was 6 hours.  The bread turned out amazing.
I made a double batch due to adding too much flower at the wrong time.  I will freeze a couple of loaves.
This bread is the best I've made so far.  I had planned to do Fondue tonight for dinner but the bread wasn't ready.  6-8 hours for the first rising, 2-2.5 hours for the second, and 1-1.5 for the third with time to knead in between.  Crazy.

Next time I make this I will make up the dough and let it rise while I sleep, then I should only need a spare 4 hours to babysit the bread.  I use to think $3 a loaf was too much now I am thinking it's not enough.

I doubt anyone will want this recipe since it requires a starter (mine I started back in November) and takes so long.  Let me know if you do and I'll post it.  It makes exceptional bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I hope you will follow my blog.