Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Kid Friendly Recipes

The reason I created this blog was to keep a log of recipes that worked.   And by work, I mean recipes that the kids enjoyed eating without complaints.  I kind of don't like cooking because of years of spending time making something that the kids made a fuss over.  My kids are finally starting to get over the fuss...7th grade and 9th grade...but still every once in a while they'll complain.

One way I got them to eat more broccoli as kids was to serve them ramen noodles cooked with broccoli and sprinkled with soy sauce rather than the packet.  I also renamed them so we still call them "Crazy Noodles."  They also like their green beans (fresh not canned or frozen) slightly steamed and then sort of fried with soy sauce.

Here is a list of the recipes I've done on the blog that I think most kids like.  I didn't bother to put the desserts on there because of course the kids love those.

Chocolate Chip Pancakes:  I make these every time the kids have someone sleep over.  I now have a reputation for making these pancakes and the kids have come to expect them.  I think they are healthier because I do NOT serve them with syrup.  There is no need, the chocolate chips are sweet enough.  They are also good with bananas or sub out the choc chips for blueberries.

Cheese Enchiladas:  Surprisingly, Owen loves these.  Anne likes them but not nearly as much.  I make them with onions so if your kids hate onions then probably not this...but for some reason I don't love onions but I like these.  I make two batches.  One for the kids with diced tomatoes and one for the adults with original rotel tomatotes.

Chicken Cordon Bleu:  Haven't made this in a while but they loved it when I did.  Might be better for an older palet but hard to say.  One time Anne love this and one time she didn't...I guess her taste buds weren't in the mood.

Lemon Herb Chicken:

Mac n Cheese:  Winner every time and easier than the recipes looks.

Pumpkin Muffin Cookies: This recipe is great.  Don't eat too many (more than 12) because pumpkin can be a laxative.  They are so good that we found out this benefit when Owen didn't stop eating them.  

Scones:  These are plain scones but with enough butter and jam most kids like them.  Anne likes them with strawberries and whipped cream...yeah, they could almost be a strawberry shortcake.

Stir Fry:  Anne loves this one ...Owen not as much but he eats it without complaints.  Reheats really well.

Broccoli Pie:  Surprisingly...the kids complain about this one but they eat it.  Actually, Anne loves it now but only this year.  It's pretty easy but does take an hour to bake.  I use to put mushrooms in it but haven't in a long time.  I think you could probably put anything you want in this one but with the cottage cheese and egg...it's pretty decent protein.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I hope you will follow my blog.